In our ever-present attempt to eat right and be more active, I’ve been trying to get us back on the breakfast wagon. We’re so busy in the morning that we rarely have time for any kind of sit-down breakfast, so I’ve been baking healthy goods to grab on the run and have at work when we can find a minute to ourselves. Since I had ginger leftover from our Asian Spicy Meatballs, I decided to put it to use with the carrots I have leftover from both the meatballs and the two crock’s of soup. The result was a fluffy, spiced carrot muffin that is soft and amazing warmed with a little butter. Would also make a loaf of quick bread if you want to go that route.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten (you could also get away with equal parts mashed banana)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large carrot, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup skim or soy milk
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced or shredded
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp dry powdered ginger
- 1/8 tsp allspice (I opted for a little Pumpkin Spice)
- 1/8 tbsp vanilla
- Optional: 1/2 cup raisins or nuts (we used raisins)
1. Preheat oven to 350*F (180*C).
2. Cut butter into small cubes and let soften.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder with the butter. Add sugars, ginger, carrot, milk, beaten egg, vanilla, and spices to the mixture and mix thoroughly. Add raisins or nuts if using them.
4. Bake for 25 minutes and let cool.
Makes about 12 muffins
Do you eat breakfast on the run and have a go-to recipe?
You may also like
YUM! And my breakfast to go of choice is, of course, the banana scramble 🙂
They had organic bananas on special at the store yesterday and I immediately thought of the banana scramble.
Sounds wonderfully moist! And a great way to get the kids to eat carrots! Can’t wait to try them.
Thanks Cindy, they were great! If you like those, you will definitely like Neil’s Carrot Cake Cookies, they were to DIE FOR! https://kohlercreated.com/?p=9021
I LOVE this recipe, and I share it with all my friends : ) I love being able to eat 5 muffins and not feel bad about it. Thanks!!!