Friday nights for Neil and I are always about dinner with the least path of resistance. We make fun stuff during the week, we experiment with food on the weekends, but Friday night it’s whatever gets us fed and to our computers fastest for a night of gaming. We improvised last week and came up with yummy baked tostatas that are require minimal ingredients but are yummy and filling. Don’t see these as a recipe cemented in stone but an idea to build off of and use with whatever you may have in your fridge or pantry.
- 4-6 flour or corn tortillas (the number depends how many layers you want yours to be)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 28-ounce can vegetarian beans, refried or whole
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese (or whatever you choose)
- 1/2 cup salsa (we used our canned homemade recipe)
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Sriracha sauce to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the tortillas lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
2. Place in single layer on 1-2 cookie sheets (depending on your number of tortillas). Bake for 5 minutes, then turn tortillas, turn cookie sheets, and bake for 3-6 minutes longer until the tortillas are crisp and light brown.
3. Layer tostata with beans, shredded cheese, cilantro, and sriracha. Top with more cheese, lettuce, salsa, and sour cream. Place in oven for another five minutes to melt cheese if necessary.
This is a great weeknight recipe too. Completely adaptable, fast and fun to make and customize as big or small as you like. Do you have any great easy Friday recipes to share?
You may also like
Yum!!! Those look so good. Will definitely try them one of these days!
These look fantastic! We do lots of nacho-type meals on Fridays- it’s filling, easy to play around with and change up and makes the night a little more laid back than other nights during the week. This is going on the menu!
I am so glad you left a comment and I was able to discover your blog. You have some great recipes that seem really easy. Just what I have been looking for on nights when I am crunched for time and still want to fix a good dinner. Also love your food shots.