Neil loves coffee, that’s no mystery. I love coffee too, but I like foo-foo coffee. Concoctions with non-coffee flavors, and obscene amounts of chocolate or candy. I don’t sip, I gulp. I savor the whipped cream and chocolate shavings and am almost brought to tears when the cup is nearly empty. In my teeth-grinding attempt to save money however, I’ve cut back and am always looking for ways to duplicate my little luxuries by DIY. CHOW recently asked a handful of restaurant owners for the recipes to their seasonal flavored coffees and Chef Robert Hellen’s Vanilla-Gingerbread Latte made my list.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ginger mix from above
- 1 scant teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 expresso shot (1 to 1/2 ounces)
- Graham cracker, for garnish
- 3 tablspoons simple syrup from above
- For the sugar mixture: Mix all ingredients together: Mix all ingredients together.
- For the spiced simple syrup: Mix all ingredients together.
- To assemble: Steam milk and froth top, if you have an expresso maker. Pour expresso shot into a cup. Garnish with a graham cracker and a drizzle of syrup, if desired.
You may also like