I had originally wanted to make this dish Monday in order to have it posted for Fat Tuesday but with Neil’s participation in a medical study he is not only prohibited from exercising, but eating certain types of foods the night before testing. The restrictions leave him pretty well limited to essentially an Atkins Diet (which I completely loath). So belated but still delicious, here is our easy Red Beans and Rice. I never associate it with Mardi Gras so much as it’s always been a camping meal for us.
INGREDIENTS (makes 4 1-cup servings)
- 2 cups red beans (if you opt for dry, you’ll have to soak overnight)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound smoked turkey sausage, halved or diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups steamed rice (opt for brown if you choose)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, around 6 minutes.
2. Stir in turkey sausage, thyme and cayenne and sauté for 2 minutes. Add beans and simmer over medium-low heat until beans are creamy, around 20 minutes. Serve over steamed rice.
Afterward you’ll probably want to collapse on the couch and watch the Olympics. Even though this recipe is lighter than most you’ll find for Red Beans and Rice, it’s still very hearty.
You may also like